This urban styled Hammered Metal Earring Design Kit features TierraCast hammered jewelry findings in a very versatile look. Using a faux riveting technique, these earrings are both easy and fun to make.
For help with Creating a Simple Loop with a Head Pin, please view our tutorial video or read the text at http://www.brightlingsbeads.com/create-a-simple-loop-with-head-pin.html.
- First, take one of the Silver Plated 2 Inch Head Pins (231200) and onto it slide one of the 4mm Brass Oxide TierraCast Disk Heishi Spacers.
- Now slide the Head Pin and Heishi Spacer through one of the holes on one of the Silver Plated TierraCast Hammertone Oval Links (T-SA-3081).
- Onto the Head Pin, on the opposite side of the Oval Link than the Heishi Spacer, hang one of the Black Large TierraCast Hammertone Rings (T-BK-3085), and then one of the Brass Oxide TierraCast Extra-Large Hammertone Rings (T-BR-3095). NOTE: You’ll want to situate them so that the Black Hammertone Ring hangs inside the opening of the Brass Oxide Hammertone Ring.)
- Next slide one of the other Silver Plated TierraCast Hammertone Oval Links onto the Head Pin, making sure that the two Hammertone Rings are sandwiched tightly between the two Oval Links.
- Now slide another of the 4mm Brass Oxide Heishi Spacers onto the end of the Head Pin.
- Then, to secure the two Oval Links together, we’ll create a Simple Loop with the Head Pin. Again, make sure the loop is created so that the two Oval Links sandwich the Hammertone Rings tightly.
- Bend the Head Pin at a 90 degree angle, making sure the bend is right on top of the Heishi Spacer. Try not to leave any "play" between the bend and the Heishi Spacer.
- Trim the excess wire of the Head Pin to approximately 1/2". After some experimenting for loop size, you can adjust this length slightly for smaller or larger loops.
- Using round nose pliers, grip the wire at the very end, not too far up the jaw of the plier making sure the end of the wire does not stick out beyond the jaw of the plier. After some practice, you begin to know exactly where to place the wire in the jaw of the plier to achieve the loop size you desire.
- Hold the pieces firmly with your fingers and roll the wire away from you and toward the piece. Make sure you hold the bead tightly as to keep the angle and shape of the loop.
- When you reach the point of being unable to roll your wrist any farther, without removing the plier from the loop, simply loosen your grip slightly and reposition the plier by rotating it back toward you. Grip the wire and continue to roll away from you until the end of the wire meets the other end of the loop.
- Next take another of the Heishi Spacers, and slide it onto another of the Head Pins.
- Now slide the Head Pin through the second hole of the Oval Link, but before you push it all the way through, thread one of the Silver Plated 5mm Open Jump Rings (231105) onto it. The Jump Ring, like the Hammertone Rings, should be sandwiched in between the two oval links.
- Continue pushing the Head Pin through the hole in the other Oval Link, then slide on another of the Heishi Spacers, and again secure the two pieces together by creating a simple loop.
- Now take one of your Antique Brass Ear Wires w/ 3mm Bead and Coil, and attach it to the Jump Ring.
- Repeat steps 1 through 10 to create the second earring.
- That’s it. Now all you have to do is wear your Hammered Metal Earrings the next time you’re in a metropolitan mood, give them as a gift, or wear them with other jewelry you have for sale!
EACH KIT INCLUDES:
- Antique Brass Ear Wire w/3mm Bead and Coil (1 Pair) (232710)
- Black Large TierraCast Hammertone Ring (2 Pieces) (T-BK-3085)
- Brass Oxide TierraCast X-Large Hammertone Ring (2 Pieces)(T-BR-3095)
- Silver Plated TierraCast Hammertone Oval Link (4 Pieces) (T-SA-3081)
- 4mm Brass Oxide TierraCast Disk Heishi Spacers (8 Pieces) (T-BR-0440)
- Silver Plated Head Pin 2" (2 Pieces) (231200)
- Silver Plated 5mm Open Jump Ring (2 Pieces) (231105)
BEADING TECHNIQUES USED:
- How to Create a Simple Loop with a Head Pin
THE TOOLS YOU’LL NEED:
- Round Nose Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters